W. Soccer Hosts No. 15 Princeton Tigers

photo
The women’s soccer team (8-4-2, 2-4-0, Ivy) will play its final game of the season when it hosts No. 15 Princeton (12-2-0, 5-1-0) tomorrow. The Tigers are arguably the strongest squad Cornell will face this season, but they have lost two in row heading into tomorrow’s match. The Red is currently coming off of a disappoinment of its own, a scoreless tie against Syracuse on Wednesday.

Last weekend, Princeton failed in its bid to clinch the Ivy League title when it fell to Harvard 1-0 in double overtime. In addition to that loss, the Tigers fell by the same margin in overtime to a very strong William and Mary squad two days ago.

Shockingly, Princeton, which won its first twelve games of the season, has turned in two consecutive poor outings. Junior goalie Jean Poster has not been at the top of her game lately, as she was beaten on the only shot that William and Mary made on net in Wednesday’s defeat.

Meanwhile, Cornell is playing some of its best soccer in the latter part of the season. The Red is currently riding a three game unbeaten streak which includes wins over league opponents Dartmouth and Brown. After starting the conference schedule with four consecutive losses, Cornell has fought back with the two aforementioned wins.

Cornell’s 0-0 tie with Syracuse on Wednesday extended the Red’s non-conference unbeaten streak to a school-record 10 games. Against such foes this season, the Red won six games and tied two others and did not surrender a single goal in eight games.

The Red has played especially well on defense during its recent streak, allowing just one goal in its last three games. Sophomore Katie Thomas has been a stalwart in goal and will need to be at her best against the Tigers, who can claim the league title with a win tomorrow.

Kickoff is scheduled for noon at Berman Field.

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini