M. Icers Rise to No. 8

photo
Despite suffering its first loss of the season over the weekend, the men’s hockey team (4-1-0, 3-1-0 ECAC) moved up one spot to No. 8 in this week’s USCHO.com Division I hockey poll. After thrashing Vermont by an 8-0 score on Friday night, Cornell dropped a 5-2 decision to Dartmouth.

Boston College and New Hampshire retained the top two rankings in the poll. The Eagles, who defeated then-No. 7 Boston University 3-2 last Friday, solidified its claim as the top team in the country, garnering 37 of a possible 40 first-place votes. Meanwhile, UNH stayed at No. 2 after a convincing 3-0 win over Providence.

WCHA rivals North Dakota and Denver traded places, with North Dakota taking over the No. 3 ranking while Denver dropped to fourth. The Fighting Sioux moved up one spot after sweeping Alaska-Fairbanks, while the Pioneers went 1-0-1 against Michigan Tech.

Michigan rounded out the top five after two weekend wins over Lake Superior.

Colorado College continued its impressive ascension in the rankings, coming in two spots higher at No. 6 after beating Minnesota on the road on Friday and then tying the Gophers on Saturday. Maine jumped three places after two blowout victories on the road: an 8-2 win at Northeastern and a 7-2 victory at Boston University.

Minnesota fell three places to No. 9, and Boston University, which was on the short end of two weekend games, also dropped three spots to No. 10.

Miami, Ferris St., Ohio St., Providence and Harvard claimed the 10-15 spots, respectively.

The ECAC was once again heavily represented in the weekly poll, with the Red and the Crimson placing in the top 15. Brown, Yale, Dartmouth, and Clarkson also received votes this week.

Cornell returns to action this Friday when it hosts bitter-rival Harvard at Lynah Rink. The game will hold even greater importance now, as both teams are nationally-ranked.

Archived article by Sun Staff