Harriers Win Championships

Men’s distance coach Robert Johnson summed up the cross country team’s performance at the IC4A cross country championships succinctly.

“We saved the best for last.”

On a cold and blustery day at Van Cortlandt Park in New York City the men’s cross country team delivered with a team championship in the prestigious meet.

“I think it was the appropriate ending to a great season,” said Johnson.

The team executed the coach’s philosophy perfectly, coming together to produce its best performance at the end of the season, when it mattered most.

“The credit really belongs to everyone,” said Johnson.

An even blend of youth and leadership led Cornell to the victory. Sophomore Bruce Hyde earned the team’s top spot with a third-place finish, continuing his year-long string of successes.

“Every race he’s run for us has been fantastic,” said Johnson, “and this one was no exception.”

Right behind him, a trio of seniors paced by senior captain Dan Dombroski turned in its own spectacular performances to make the difference in the Red’s score.

“The seniors really stepped it up for us and allowed us to win the championship,” Johnson noted.

Dombroski placed fifth, with classmates Barry Kahn and Daryn Johnson following in 12th and 23rd places, respectively.

“Daryn Johnson and Barry Kahn both ran their best races of the season,” said Johnson, “by far.”

Junior Dan Hart rounded out the team’s scoring with a 38th-place finish.

The victory concluded the Red’s season and completed the team’s rebound from an uneven performance at the Heptagonal championships.

“I think everybody was really disappointed with our performance at Heps,” said Hyde.

For the last three weeks, the team has been running with something to prove. That mentality helped earn it a solid fifth-place finish at the NCAA Regional last weekend and a winning conclusion this weekend.

“We have made great strides this year,” Hyde continued. “This performance is indicative of the future success the program is going to have.”

For now though, noted Johnson, the seniors can be proud of the mark they’ve left on the Cornell cross country program.

“It was the perfect end to a very good season for us,” continued Johnson. “We certainly laid the groundwork for some future success.”

Archived article by Matt James