M. Icers Stay at No. 7 Despite Weekend Sweep

photo
Although it swept Boston University over the weekend, the men’s hockey team (8-1-0, 5-1-0 ECAC) remained No. 7 in the USCHO.com poll released yesterday. The Red dominated the Terriers in B.U.’s first visit to Lynah Rink since the 1993-94 season. Cornell won the first game by a 4-1 margin and blew out B.U. 5-1 in Sunday’s matchup.

Boston College, the No. 1 team in the nation the last two weeks, dropped three places to No. 4 after losing to Dartmouth last Tuesday. Taking over the top ranking was North dakota, which tied Minnesota State 6-6 before eeking out a 5-4 win to improve its record to 12-1-1.

New Hampshire and Maine, the No. 2 and No. 3 teams, respectively, each moved up one spot this week. UNH beat UConn 3-1, while Maine squeaked out a 2-1 win over Quinnipiac.

Rounding out the top five was Colorado College, which continued its stellar play on the season by blowing out Air Force and Mercyhurst by scores of 7-0 and 10-2, respectively.

Denver, which stands one spot above the Red at No. 6, saw its lead over Cornell shrink from 101 points a week ago to just 14 this week. Michigan stayed put at No. 8 despite wins over Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Ferris State and Minnesota swapped positions, with Ferris State taking over the ninth spot after Minnesota tied Michigan State and lost to Michigan this past weekend.

Despite being pounded by the Red, Boston University fell just two spots to No. 13. Miami found itself at eleventh, while Harvard once again moved up in the poll, placing No. 12. The Crimson went 2-1-0 this past week, dropping 3-0 to B.U. before winning ECAC games against Union and RPI. Ohio St. and Providence rounded out the top 15.

Ranked seventh, Cornell will next play on Friday when it heads to Western Michigan for two non-conference games.

Archived article by Sun Staff