Red No. 17 Nationally According to Intermat

photo
InterMat, the nation’s leading collegiate wrestling publication, released their most recent D-I rankings yesterday, placing Cornell at No. 17 as a team. The announcement also included individual rankings with four Red grapplers earning top 20 nods in their respective weight classes.

The Red began the 2002-03 season as the No. 20 squad in the nation, but has since improved its standing with strong showings at competitive tournaments the last two weekends. Most recently, the Red dominated the Sharpie-Carolina Wrestling Open claiming six finalists and three champions at last Saturday’s event.

Two weekends ago, Cornell opened its season by rolling over its competition at the Body Bar Invitational at Bartels Hall. The Red placed eight of its members in the finals at the Body Bar, with four emerging as champions.

The biggest news in the individual rankings for the Red was the appearance of freshman Dustin Manotti at No. 19 in the 149-pound weight class.

Manotti was named one of three EIWA Wrestlers of the Week on Nov. 26 after his impressive championship run at the Body Bar Invitational.

Sophomore Travis Lee remained in the top five at 125 pounds after winning his weight class at each of the Red’s first two tournaments. The All-American was ranked No. 4.

Fellow All-American senior Clint Wattenberg also maintained his No. 4 position at 184 pounds. Wattenberg has also claimed the top spot at his weight in the two opening tournaments.

The final top-ranked wrestler for the Red was 197-pound sophomore Matt Greenberg who dropped to No. 14 after losing in the finals of each of his first two tournaments.

Cornell will continue its pursuit of national prominence at Midlands on Friday, Dec. 27 in Chicago, Ill.

Archived article by Sun Staff