Top 25 Most Influential Cornellians 2002

Carl Jones

Arts & Sciences

Africana Studies and Research / History

Carl Jones, Jr. is the president of what is perhaps the most exclusive and mysterious society on Cornell’s campus, Quill and Dagger. Virtually nothing is known of the organization except that is apparently filled with campus leaders like Jones.

Originally from Ellenwood, GA , Jones is a Meining Family National Scholar and sits on the Arts and Sciences Academic Integrity Board. Eventually, Jones would like to get both his MD and an LLM.

Needless to say, he’s got a lot of schooling ahead of him yet, when asked what’s most important Jones says, “Most importantly, I see myself with a family in the future.”

Peter Mack, ’03

Hotel Administration

Concentration in Law

Unlike many of his peers, Peter Mack isn’t headed out of town right after he graduates May of 2003. The Woodbridge, CT native will be staying on as an elected city official until his term is up at the end of 2003. After that, Mack says his future is wide open. Mack has served as an Alderperson for the city of Ithaca since November of 2001, sitting on various city committees throughout that time including the Human Resource Committee, the Neighborhood and Community Issues Committee, and the Affirmative Action Committee. He’s also heavily involved in campus affairs as the President of Psi Upsilon Fraternity and a member of the Cornell Water Polo Team, and as a Teaching Assistant in the School of Hotel Administration. Mack’s not all business, however. He’s dabbled in several fields including bartending and various construction projects. And though it seems that he might not have much free time, Mack enjoys cooking, swimming, fly fishing, playing the guitar, and photography in the few off-hours he has. Honors include the Senior Honor Society, Quill and Dagger and the Greek Honor Society, Order of Omega. When asked what he’s like to do in the future, Mack says, “My concentration is in law and I have a real interest in the subject. I have not yet determined where that may lead me … I’d like to leave my options open,” to which he added, “Becoming a ski bum in the near future would not be the end of the world.”

Anabel Mota ’03

Arts & Sciences

History

Hailing from sunny San Diego, CA, Anabel Mota is currently the Co-Chair of the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (better known by its acronym MECha) and the Alumni Relations Officer for La Asociacion Latina (LAL), a group that acts to mobilize the nation’s Latina and Latino population. As a student leader, Mota has put a great amount of time and energy into making sure that there’s proper cultural and academic representation on Cornell’s campus. Currently, Mota is applying to Ph.D. programs in History, American/Ethnic Studies, where she plans to further pursue ideas of race and ethnicity, the role of women in the 20th century, and various incarnations of social and ethnic identity. A self-described activist, Mota has worked hard during her years at Cornell to bring a strong and distinct voice to Cornell’s Chicano community.

Yujin Chung ’03

Engineering

Electrical and Computer Engineering

Another Californian, Yujin Chung moved from Irvine to Ithaca to study in what is generally considered the most difficult field here at Cornell: Engineering. His involvement with the college doesn’t end with his studies, however. Chung is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, as well as an active participant ofEnte College Curriculum Governing Board (CCGB) for Engineering, sitting on the Student Experience Committee where he helps to identify and remedy problems facing today’s students of engineering. And although a good deal of his time is invested into his college, Chung concerns himself with the university as a whole, acting as the President of the Sphinx Head Honor Society. After completing his undergraduate studies, Chung would like to pursue a masters in Electrical Engineering here at Cornell. After he’s done with school, says Chung, “Maybe I’ll go to law school, maybe business school … or maybe I’ll write a novel that really reveals the inner life of engineers, that paints us as people and not those socially awkward automatons we sometimes resemble. It’s a good idea, but it probably won’t sell well.”

Rachel Goldberg ’04

Arts & Sciences

Biological Sciences

An avid and accomplished Gymnast, Rachel Goldberg studies as hard as she competes. A pre-medical student who plans to pursue a career in child and adolescent psychiatry, Goldberg is the current president of SAAC, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, an organization that serves as a bridge between Cornell’s many student athletes and the rest of the university. SAAC works to foster communication between the administration and the various athletic programs here at Big Red, and works to provide imput and responses to proposed policy changes and new legislation within the realm of the athletic department. Needless to say, at a division one institution, this is no small task. Goldberg was recently inducted into Red Key, an honorary society for outstanding undergraduate contributors to Cornell athletics and the Cornell community at large. In her free time, she enjoys traveling, spending time with friends and family, and exploring new and exciting places both here in New York as well as in her home state of Indiana.

Henry Bloom ’03

Engineering

Operations Research and Industrial Engineering

With his many talents, both academic and other, Henry Bloom looks forward to several possible career choices. First, however, Bloom would like to get a masters degree in Engineering or possibly go to law school. Bloom, who serves as the Executive Director of the Cornell Concert Commision, also sits on the Cornell University Program Board (CUPB) which brings several guest speakers and comedians to campus each year. Bloom is also a member of the Student Assembly’s Social Events Committee, a newly-formed group of faculty, staff members, and students who tackle a variety of campus issues regarding student groups, social events, and upcoming performances, among other things.

Christopher Kang ’04

Arts & Sciences

English / Creative Writing

Though there is no degree granted in Creative Writing at Cornell, English majors like Christopher Kang can decide to concentrate in that field. And there is perhaps no better undergraduate to take on that task than Kang, who received this year’s Arthur Lynn Andrews prize for his story “When the Water Runs Out.” A native of Mineola, NY Kang is the current Editor-in-Chief of Rainy Day, a student literary magazine that’s in its 31st year of publication. Founded by Poet and Professor Kenneth A. McClane, Rainy Day has published works by author Richard Price and by poet Anselm Hollo. Kang plans to continue with his writing. As for his outlook on life, Kang aptly refers to Raymond Carver’s classic short-story “Cathedral” saying, “