Polo Squads Host Trojans, Alumni

The men’s polo team will look to continue its winning ways this weekend as it takes on the Valley Forge Trojans at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Oxley Equestrian Center. The team is currently 7-2 on the season, with its only losses coming to Virginia.

Valley Forge presents a mixed bag for the men. Despite losing their top player to an injury, the Trojans will be a challenge for the Red.

Valley Forge last visited Ithaca for last month’s William S. Field Tournament. Though the Trojans and Red did not play each other, both squared off against UVA. Both teams lost to Virginia, however Valley Forge’s play impressed head coach David Eldredge ’81.

“They are a good solid team that is going to come out there,” said Eldredge. “If we don’t play our game they could upset us.”

Eldredge’s team feels a bit differently.

“We should win easily,” said senior Darren James.

If history repeats itself, James just might be right. Cornell met and defeated Valley Forge twice last season. Their last meeting was a 26-4 blowout during which junior Senter Johnson recorded eight goals.

The lady riders will also take to the ring this weekend. The women will compete at 7:15 p.m. today against an alumni squad that includes three nationally experienced players.

“I look forward to this because I know it’s going to be a good game … which is nice,” said senior Taylor McLean.

After this weekend’s matches both teams will be on hiatus due to the seven-week rule. They will return to practice in mid January.

Archived article by Matt Janiga