W. Hockey Plays Pair Against Mercyhurst at Lynah

After 12 games of pure frustration, the Red’s hard work finally paid off against the Findlay Oilers last week. In a game where the word “dirty” was an understatement, Cornell managed to eke out a 2-1 victory, snapping its 12-game winless streak dating back to the end of last season.

This weekend, the Red (1-9-1, 0-5-1 ECAC) battles Mercyhurst (17-5-1, 3-0-0 CHA) twice at home, in an attempt to prove that its last win was no fluke. Mercyhurst has a dominating squad, and has won its last two meetings against Cornell. In addition, the Lakers have won seven straight, and are unbeaten in their last eight.

However, the Red is no pushover team. Senior Liz Connelly has finally found her game, after stopping 33 of 34 shots in the Red’s win against Findlay. This outstanding performance dropped her GAA to 2.56 overall and gave her an impressive .919 save percentage on the season.

O Captain

Additionally, senior defender Brooke Bestwick showed everyone why she wears the “C” when she scored her second goal of the season against the Oilers, while managing to stay out of the penalty box in what was a very messy game. Bestwick has probably been the Red’s most consistent player all season. She is currently tied for the lead in points on the Cornell squad.

Certainly Mercyhurst is a force to be reckoned with. Both of the Lakers’ goaltenders have been brick walls this season, with the team allowing on average fewer than two goals per game. Sophomore winger Chrissy Yule just recently won CHA Offensive Player of the Week, while senior Jenn Jeffrey won the CHA Defensive Player of the Week. Ten players on the Mercyhurst squad have more than ten points on the season.

The puck drops at 2 p.m. on both tomorrow and Sunday. One can only wait and see if Cornell can continue its winning ways.

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini