Tracksters Prepare to Host Quartet of In-State Rivals

This weekend, the men’s track team will compete at home against four other New York schools in a meet that will serve as a breather for some and a breakthrough for others. During the last week of winter break, the men’s track team was here at school training for upcoming meet.

Last week that work paid off at the Penn State Invitational, as senior Quinton Carew won the 60m and classmate Derek Kingrey won the shot put, while an additional 10 runners and throwers qualified for the IC4A’s. The team hopes to continue its success at this weekend’s home meet against Binghamton, Buffalo, Ithaca College, and Colgate, but head coach Nathan Taylor will also give many of his top performers a rest.

“Last weekend, we had some really tough competition, but our guys came through with some great performances,” Taylor said.

Last weekend at Penn State, eleven tough teams competed, and the men’s team finished second behind the host squad in a close battle. Strong individual and relay performances contributed to the Red’s strong finish. Carew set a Cornell record in the 60m run while winning the event in 6.89s and also ran the 200m, finishing in 23.73s. Teammate and captain junior Rahim Wooley was the Red’s top performer in the 200m dash, crossing the line in 22.23s. Other outstanding performances included IC4A qualifying runs by seniors Dan Domobroski and Barry Kahn, who took second and fourth place, respectively, in the 3,000m. Additionally, the Red’s distance medley relay and 4x400m relay teams qualified for the Eastern championships with second and fifth-place finishes, respectively.

Top performances in field events also contributed to the Red’s success.

Kingrey won the shot put with a toss of 57-1. Sophomore Zach Beadle also qualified for the IC4A’s with his third-place toss of 54-4. Junior thrower Giles Longley-Cook finished fourth in the hammer throw with a heave of 56-11, and teammate sophomore Mike Scarpa also scored points with his sixth-place toss.

Finally, pole vaulter junior Travis Offner led the Red with his IC4A qualifying jump of 15-9, and triple jumper Jason Hart placed third in his event with a distance of 46-2.

“The field events, especially shot put, and the long jump were really competitive,” Taylor said of the Penn State meet, “but this weekend will be tough also. Buffalo in particular has a lot of scholarship athletes, so our guys will be tested again. But, we only have five weeks until Heps, and I want to make sure we are rested when that time comes around.”

With many of the top men out of competition this weekend, what normally would be a nearly guaranteed win will depend on the performances of the Red’s less well-known runners and throwers.

Regardless, coach Taylor feels confident that his Red runners will deliver a victory.

“We will have all of our best throwers out there and guys like Rahim Wooley in the 60m dash, so we should be fine. I think every one of our guys has a chance to win his event.”

Archived article by Everett Hullverson