M. Track Beats In-State Rivals

The men’s track team, despite resting several of its best athletes, defeated in-state opponents Buffalo, Binghamton, Ithaca College, and Colgate this past weekend at Barton Hall. Several of the Red’s perennial top performers won their events, but most of the team’s points came from less well known runners, throwers, and jumpers — a testament to the team’s all-around strength and depth.

Head coach Nathan Taylor said of the meet, “This is a rest week for a lot of our guys. We try to train very hard for two weeks and then go one week at twenty-five percent. That helps decrease some of the cumulative stress that running in Barton Hall everyday puts on our guys’ feet and shins.”

Taylor added, however, that “These teams are not usually our toughest competition, but they do have some good athletes, particularly throwers, so we had to give a strong effort to win.”

First place finishes came from junior Rahim Wooley, who won the 60m dash in 7.06s, junior Giles Longley-Cook, who threw the 35-pound weight 17.3m; senior Brett Coffing, who tossed the shot 16.92m; and freshman Patrick McDonough, who leapt 1.96m for the championship in the high jump.

Additionally, many of the Red scored big points by placing in the top five for their events. Runners freshman Oliver Hoopes and sophomore Brian Eremita placed second in the 400m and 800m races, respectively. Junior Tyler Kaune jumped 7.06m to take second in the long jump. Junior Jason Hart placed second in the triple jump with a leap of 14.2m. Freshman Adam Farrell narrowly missed winning the high jump with his leap of 1.96m, and junior Ethan Albrecht-Carrie took fifth overall in the pentathlon.

“We did moderately well overall, but we have Harvard and Brown next week, and both of those teams have some terrific athletes who have competed not only at the college but the international level as well,” Taylor said.

But of his team’s depth, Taylor commented, “Harvard and Brown might have some great individuals, but I don’t think they have the depth to compete with us. Our outlook for winning next weekend looks good.”

As it showed this past weekend, the Red does have the depth to amass a majority of the points in the top 10 places and also the outstanding athletes to clinch key victories in several events. Those athletes who did not compete this past weekend should be healthy, well-rested, and ready to compete at one hundred percent next week.

Archived article by Everett Hullverson