Swimmers Top 'Gate, Shatter Pool Records

On Saturday, the men’s swim team defeated local rival Colgate by a score of 179-108 to improve its record to 5-2 on the season. The Red dominated Colgate, winning 11 out of 16 events, highlighted by new pool records in the freestyle relay and the 400-yard individual medley.

The relay team, which consisted of seniors Charlie Ernst, Jeremy Sample, Julian King, and sophomore Paul Teta, finished the race in 1:23.92, which just edged out the former record of 1:24.26, a mark which had stood for nearly two years. Senior Danny Royce set the new mark in the 400-yard IM, with a time of 4:04.98, beating out the old mark by nearly three seconds. Royce, last year’s team MVP, finished off his amazing day with a first-place finish in the 500-yard freestyle as well.

The men’s team will next be in action on Feb. 1 at Ivy rival Columbia at 3:00 p.m.

The women swimmers, who also faced Colgate on Saturday, captured the match by a slim margin of 159-140 to even their season record at 4-4. The match was close throughout, with the Red winning nine events and Colgate taking eight.

The difference maker for the Red was freshman Jessica Brookman, who took first place in the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke events, and was a member of the 200 medley relay team along with freshman Holly Chance, Marisa Sweetser, and junior Megan Gutman, who also won their event.

The women look to continue their two-match winning streak, when they, too, travel down to New York City to face the Lions next Saturday at 11:00 a.m.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro