Mixology 101

February has it rough. With only 28 days during a normal non-leap year, this micro-month doesn’t get its fair share as far as days are concerned. However, the month doesn’t come without a lot to celebrate. For example, Groundhog’s Day, President’s Day and Valentine’s Day all come in February along with some fun dates of historical significance. For instance, former U.S. President Richard Nixon’s historic visit to China took place in February (the 21st, 1972) as did the beheading of Mary, Queen of Scots (the 8th, 1587). That said, we feel February is a month perfectly suited for celebration. And nothing completes a celebration like a libation or two … or three, perhaps four, but certainly no more than 12 in any given night.

In honor of this teeny month, daze brings you a few of our favorite shooters and hopes you’ll give them a shot .

The Vibrator:

1/3 oz. After Shock

1/3 oz. Peppermint Schnapps

1/3 oz. Spiced Rum

In honor of the upcoming holiday of love, we bring you The Vibrator. Layer these delicious liquors on top of one another and don’t mix. Simply top off the shot glass with a drop or two of Ginger Ale and you’re good to go. You’ll be buzzing. Or vibrating. Or something.

Smooth and Painless:

Equal Parts Crown Royal & Bailey’s Irish Cream

Dash of Frangelica.

Like sweet, chocolatey milk shakes? So do we. Like booze? What a coincidence. This is the perfect marriage of the two.

The Scooby Snack:

1/2 oz. Pineapple Juice

1/2 oz. Midori / Melon Liqueur

1/2 oz. Banana Liqueur

1/2 oz. Malibu / Coconut Rum

Hate this freezing February weather? With this tropical shooter you can pretend you’ve started your spring break early. Of course, if you miss class the next day, don’t come crying to us.

The Leaving Las Vegas:

1 oz. Gin

1 oz. White / Light Rum

1 oz. Vodka

1 oz. Triple Sec

2 tblsp. sugar

1/2 oz. Sprite

5 oz. Lemonade

Mix these puppies in a shaker with some ice, pour and drink up. Or, for a slushy shot, blend together with a few ice cubes and pour. If you’ve seen the Nic Cage flick this one’s named for, you’ll know why this includes four types of alcohol.

Last, we wouldn’t be doing our duty if we didn’t remind you that drinking is for big people. So, if you’re not 21, hands off the booze and your fake ID away from the bar. Hey, we hear frat parties are fun …

Archived article by Nate Brown