Swimming Road Trip Continues

The swimming teams look to rebound from their New York City defeats, as they hit the road again this weekend. The women will attempt to improve to 5-5, as they travel to St. Bonaventure today, while the men hope to advance to 5-3 in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League as they take on Ivy rivals Dartmouth and Harvard in Massachusetts tomorrow.

Last weekend, the women’s team lost to Columbia and Brown with scores being 233-66 and 210-88, respectively.

Freshman Kristen Rayhack finished first on the one-meter board, edging out both Columbia’s and Brown’s competitors by more than 20 points each. Classmate Marisa Sweetser took first place against Brown in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:28.48.

Freshman Jessica Brookman finished in 59.14 to take second in the 100 butterfly. Junior Jayme Majek also came in second with a time of 2:11.13 in the 200 fly.

The men dropped last weekend’s meet to Columbia.

Despite a strong performance from the Red which included senior Danny Royce’s first place finish in three events, Cornell lost the meet on a technicality. Each team won half of the meet’s races, so the winner was determined by the number of second place finishes. Columbia edged Cornell by placing second in 12 of the 16 events.

Besides Royce, the men had several strong performers.

Sophomore Anthony Schultz claimed first place on the one-meter boards, and placed second on the three-meter. Classmate Danny Diette also did his share of the work, earning first place in the 200 backstroke with a tie of 1:55.22, and third in the 100 backstroke.

Junior Rob Payne was the other 1-2 finisher of the day. Payne won the 200 butterfly with a time of 1:52.25, and turned in a 52.39 second performance for second place in the 100 fly.

Archived article by Matt Janiga