W. Tennis Travels to Boston; Men Host Four

After collecting several individual championships last weekend at the Cornell Women’s Tennis Indoor Invitational, the women’s tennis team will head to Boston, MA to face Boston College tomorrow and Boston University on Sunday.

Meanwhile, the men’s tennis team will host Buffalo and Bucknell today and Marist and St. John’s tomorrow.

Women’s Team

The women had a few dominant performances in last week’s tournament, which featured competitors from Columbia, Syracuse, Princeton, and Army. Junior Kate Sternberg won the C-Flight singles title when her opponent retired in the second set of their match.

Results

Sophomore Akane Kokubo and junior Laura Leigh Tallant both posted strong results in A-Flight singles, with Kokubo winning the consolation finals and Tallant taking third in the draw.

Meanwhile, senior Nicole Chiu took third in the B-Flight singles with a three-set win.

Freshman Molly Condit teamed with Columbia’s Mollie Edinson to take the No. 1doubles competition.

Meanwhile, the men will try to bounce back after losing a difficult 4-3 decision to Penn St. last weekend.

Loss to Penn State

The men started well, winning the doubles point by virtue of victories from No. 1 doubles pair juniors Zach Gallin and Scott Spencer and No. 3 doubles pair freshman Brett McKeon and junior Mike Schlappig.

The Red, however, were victorious in just two of six singles matches, with wins coming from McKeon who took the No. 3 singles match and Schlappig who took the sixth-flight contest.

Head coach Barry Schoonmaker knows something must be done to restart the men’s play.

“We need to get back on track,” Schoonmaker said. “We’ve got so many matches, we’re going to need contributions from every guy.”

Practice

Still, for Schoonmaker and the Red, practice is not the answer.

“We just need to get out there an play,” said Schoonmaker. “You can do a million drills but you just need to get out there and play.”

Archived article by Alex Ip