Fencers Pick Up Wins

It was a weekend of improvement for the fencing team as it split the four matches it played at the Princeton duals on Saturday. The Red defeated James Madison and Fairleigh Dickinson while losing to Temple and host Princeton.

Standing Out

Freshman Meghan Phair was again the standout for Cornell, as she went 10-2 in the epee. During her current hot streak, losses have been few and far between, as she has compiled a record of 24-3.

As a team, the epee squad went 3-1, defeating James Madison, 9-0; Fairleigh Dickinson, 5-4; and Temple, 6-3, while falling to Princeton 5-4.

The foil team split the matches, losing to Temple and Princeton and gaining wins over James Madison and Fairleigh Dickinson. Senior Tara Watkins was the top performer on foil, going 6-6 on the afternoon.

The sabre squad’s results also went the way of the overall outcome of the match, as its two wins came against James Madison and Fairleigh Dickinson. The sabre team lost to Princeton and Temple. Junior Lily Nierenberg went 8-4 to lead the squad.

The sabre enjoyed nearly a clean sweep over James Madison, winning 8-1.

With the weekend’s results, Cornell’s record now stands at 6-7 on the season, but 0-4 in Ivy League play.

The Red now has one regular season match remaining, in two weeks against Columbia, Pennsylvania, and Penn State at Columbia.

Archived article by Owen Bochner