Lady Riders Beat D.C.; Men Topped by Buffalo

The men’s and women’s polo teams continued to show their resilience this weekend with several great performances. The women maintained their undefeated streak while the men’s team continued its quest toward stardom with a notable, although unsuccessful, performance against highly favored Buffalo.

The men took on Buffalo at the Oxley Equestrian Center on Friday, dropping the game 20-14. Suffering from a poor start, Cornell came out early and fell behind by four after the first chukker. However, the men turned things around in the second to overcome the deficit and pull ahead of Buffalo.

“I’m very happy with the way they played,” said head coach David Eldredge ’81. “They were able to stay in the game, and even pull ahead of Buffalo. Overall good things were happening and everyone produced.”

Buffalo regained the lead in the third chukker and grabbed eight goals to maintain the lead till the last whistle. Eldredge was more than content with the way his riders played against the favored Buffalo team.

“Our goal was to get Senter (Johnson) off to an early start,” said Eldredge, “and he played very well all through the game. Jacob (Leclair) played well and (Jeff) Markle continues to play a real solid game and progress toward the next level.”

The women reined in yet another win to extend their unbeaten streak and remain at the top of nation’s standings. The Red played a close contest, in which the women trailed D.C. for most of the match until the fourth chukker. In the 18-16 victory, all of Cornell’s players came out strong.

“It was everything I thought it would be,” said Eldredge. “Marisa Bianchi played a tremendous game, one of her biggest. (Taylor) McLean performed well as usual and (Elisabeth) Antczak and Molly Buck split the game, but both performed very well.”

The Red were the slight favorites for the game, but D.C. proved to be a valiant opponent, keeping the women riders at bay until the fourth when they lurched ahead by four goals.

In the final month of play, the women riders seek to secure an undefeated record and bring home yet another national trophy and break history with a fourth title. The women return to action on Valentine’s Day against Virginia.

Archived article by Josh Dormont