Swimmers Have Mixed Weekend

The men’s swim team earned a split this weekend in Boston by defeating Dartmouth and falling to the host squad, Harvard.

The Red just barely squeaked by the Green by a score of 121-120. However, the Crimson controlled most of the meet, winning by a score of 168-74, handing the Red its worst loss of the season.

Although the Red did not have a first place finish in any event, many of the consistent performers had good days. Senior Danny Royce placed third in the 200-yard breaststroke and fourth in the 200-yard IM. Royce, along with his classmate Jeremy Sample, freshman Stefano Caprara, and junior Rob Payne, captured third place in the meet’s first event, the 400-yard Medley Relay.

Sample also had quite a day Saturday. He propelled the 400-yard freestyle relay team to a second place finish. Despite placing sixth, he was the Red’s top finisher in the 100-yard free, an event in which the top nine finishers were separated by less than a second.

Other standouts for the Red included Jeremy Schultz, who took third in the one and three meter diving events, and freshmen Stefano Caprara and Jared Levan, who took second place in the 200-yard backstroke and the 500-yard free, respectively.

The split on Saturday gives the Red a 6-4 record on the season going into next weekend’s match against Brown in Providence. The meet will be the Red’s final match before the EISL Championships in early March.

The women’s swim team was handed its sixth loss of the season on Friday when the Red fell to St. Bonaventure, 143-99. The loss drops the Red to 4-6 on the season, and 3-1 against non-Ivy League opponents.

Youth was showcased throughout the match for the Red, which had three of its four top finishes earned by freshmen. Rookie Jessica Brookman continued her strong season by winning the IM and the backstroke, both of the 200-yard variety. Classmate Marisa Sweetser took the 200-yard breaststroke, and junior Jayme Majek placed first in the 200-yard free to round out the Red’s top finishes.

The Red’s final match will be next Saturday when it will try to avenge last year’s loss against Buffalo.

Looking ahead, the Red will be competing in the Ivy Championships in three weeks at Princeton.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro