W. Squash Ends Season

The women’s squash team finished 13th in this weekend’s Howe Cup national championships. Trinity took home the top prize, with Yale claiming the runner-up position. The competition was the last of the season for Cornell.

The women’s trek began on Friday. Placed in the Kurtz Cup “B” division bracket, the Red faced Colby in a close match. The Mules would advance, however, in a 5-4 win.

Starting in the top spot for Cornell was sophomore Brook Stetson, who beat Colby’s Pat Morgan 9-0, 9-1, and 9-1. Freshman Cory Warfield battled for a win at the No. 2 position, having to go four sets with the Mules’ Nikki Patel. Sophomores Joanna Wolfson and Yasmin Fahr chipped in two more wins.

After Friday’s loss, the women found themselves facing Middlebury and St. Lawrence in the consolation round. Cornell defeated both with scores of 9-0 and 6-3, respectively.

Despite a sizable margin of victory, the Red worked hard for both wins as many matches were played out to four or five sets. The top four spots for Cornell were no exception as Stetson, Warfield, freshman Allison Laycob, and Wolfson were all pushed to four sets.

While the team’s season is finished, several members will travel to the individual national championships next weekend at Penn.

Archived article by Matt Janiga