Tumblers Begin League Action

After a win over Cortland, Syracuse, and Ithaca last weekend, the gymnastics team is thirsting for a breakout meet, as it heads to Penn for its first conference meet of the year.

Although the season has proved rocky so far, with injuries much to blame, the Red is intent on regaining the sure-footing that led it to an Ivy Championship last year.

“The girls are really up for this meet, and I believe they are ready to perform,” commented head coach Paul Beckwith.

The Red will need to perform well if it hopes to contend with Penn, which has consistently scored higher than Cornell in previous meets.

“It will be a challenge, and we will need to break 190 to be in this,” said Beckwith.

Unfortunately for the Red, more adversity is in store for this weekend. Senior Shannon Weiman, the team’s top competitor on beam, fell during practice this week and broke her hand. She is out for four to six weeks.

Sophomore Shellen Goltz, the team’s highest overall scorer, is still recovering from an ankle sprain, and will only be performing on the bars and beam.

Despite the injuries, the Red feels it can still score well this weekend. Sophomore Meghan Miller had an exceptional practice week and should lead the team Saturday.

Beckwith concluded, “We have had a whole rash of injuries, but we are optimistic. We are looking for a win this weekend — and if not, certainly a solid score.”

Archived article by Mark Travers