Equestrian Ties For Third

After a long layoff, the equestrian team returned to action this past weekend, finishing in a tie for third at Skidmore. The show was the first for the Red since winter break.

Skidmore won the competition, scoring 42 points. Meanwhile, Colgate took second with 34 points, followed by Cornell, Ithaca, and Hartwick at 31 points apiece. Binghamton scored 27 to finish in sixth, with Morrisville, Cobleskill, Sienna, and RPI taking places seven through 10, respectively.

Although it failed to win the team competition, the Red received several notable individual performances. Sophomore Erica Rosen qualified for regionals in two events after finishing second in the Intermediate fences and first in the Intermediate flats.

The Red scored well in the Open fences, taking second, third, and fourth places. Freshman Angela Barclay took second, with senior co-captains Jeannette Pettit and Julie Canter finishing just behind her. Canter also won the Open flats.

In addition to Rosen, who took second in the Intermediate fences, sophomore Gillian Pech and junior Alaina Hoffman rode for third and fourth place finishes, respectively.

In the Novice flat, freshman Cheryl Horton rode well enough to finish second, while teammates freshman Mary Slocum and junior Eva Conant each claimed third.

Sophomore Caitlin O’Shea, competing in her first Advanced walk-trot-canter, took second. Freshman Abby McKenna was second, while junior Erin Goodrich was third.

Finally, in the walk-trot, junior Jes Enes took second and senior Lauren Goldman took fourth.

Cornell will next ride this coming Saturday at the Morrisville show.

Archived article by Alex Ip