No. 2 Red Heads to Princeton, Yale

Heading into its final weekend of the regular season, one can only assume that the No. 2 men’s hockey team is exactly where it wants to be. It has the best defense in the NCAA in front of the best goalie in the NCAA. It has already won an outright Ivy League championship. It is first in the ECAC standings, and it has all but ensured a bid to the NCAAs.

There are still many goals still yet to be accomplished, one of which can be done tonight when the Red (22-4-1, 17-2-1 ECAC) faces Princeton (3-23-1, 2-17-1) at Hobey Baker Rink at 7 p.m. Cornell holds a three-point lead over Harvard in the conference standings; if the team wins tonight, it will clinch its second straight regular season championship.

“A three-point cushion doesn’t make any difference; we’ve got to go down and beat Princeton on Friday night and take care of matters,” said head coach Mike Schafer ’86.

The Tigers’ wins have been few and far between this year. Princeton has been outscored by 2.74 goals per game. However, one of its wins was a 2-1 victory against Harvard in Boston this year, an event that has kept the Red from overlooking Princeton as it travels to New Jersey.

“Princeton beat Harvard, who’s now second in our league, so they definitely have the capability of putting together a good game, so that’s why we’ve got to come there as focused as always and we want to clinch that regular season title on Friday night,” said senior captain Stephen B