Women Netters Host Pair

The women’s tennis team will hold its second match of the Spring season when it hosts Western Michigan tomorrow and local rival Syracuse on Sunday.

The Red is looking for its first victory of the Spring season after being swept last weekend in Boston. The Eagles of Boston College handled the Red easily by a score of 7-1. However, the Red engaged in a hard fought struggle against Boston University, with the Terriers squeaking out a 4-3 victory.

Sophomore Erika Takeuchi won at the No. 3 singles spot for the Red’s only victory of the day against BC. The Eagles took five of the other six singles matches, and also swept the doubles matches en route to victory.

The Red showed some signs of life the following day. Sophomore Akane Kokubo won her match at the number one spot in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0. Juniors Laura Leigh Tallant and Kate Sternberg each won hard fought matches in three sets, at the No. 5 and 5 spots respectively.

Tallant’s match came down to the final set, with her just edging out Elna DeMendoza of BU 7-6 to take the victory. Yet, the Red’s problems continued in the doubles department where it was again swept.

Apples and Oranges

The Orange comes into the match with a 3-2 record on its Spring season, and comes off an impressive victory against Georgetown last weekend, 7-0.

Western Michigan comes in with a 5-4 record overall, and an impressive showing against Akron, with the Broncos winning by a score of 7-0 in their Mid-American Conference opener. Play both days will begin at 1 p.m. at the Reis Tennis Center.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro