M. Hockey Still No. 2

The past weekend brought mixed success for the top 15 teams in the USCHO.com Division I men’s hockey poll released yesterday. All but three teams experienced at least one loss or tie, which had little subsequent effect on the rankings.

Cornell was one of the three teams to go undefeated, picking up road wins over Princeton and Yale to wrap up the regular season. The Red remained No. 2 in the poll, receiving a season-high 17 first place votes.

Colorado College remained in the top spot despite splitting a weekend set with WCHA rival No. 9 Minnesota State — Mankato. The split enabled the Mavericks to move up one spot to No. 10.

New Hampshire moved up to No. 3 after a win and a tie against Colorado College. Despite splitting a weekend series with conference rival Boston University, Maine moved up from No. 5 to No. 4.

The only other teams with only wins were No. 5 Ferris State, which swept Nebraska -Omaha, and No. 13 Providence, which won its only game of the weekend Friday night against UMass-Lowell.

Several teams in the bottom half of the poll shuffled positions in the new rankings. Boston University rebounded from last week’s two-spot fall, moving up a spot to No. 10. Meanwhile, North Dakota fell two spots to No. 11 after splitting a pair with Minnesota-Duluth.

Harvard, which finishes the regular season in second place in the ECAC for the second straight season, moved up a position to No. 12 after a tie against Clarkson and a win over St. Lawrence.

Denver fell to places to No. 14 after a tie and a loss at No. 7 Minnesota, while Ohio State rounds out the top 15, falling one spot after a split on the road at Northern Michigan.

Dartmouth received four votes, the only ECAC team besides Cornell and Harvard to appear on any ballots.

The ECAC and Hockey East kick off their conference playoff slate this weekend while the other four conferences will wrap up their regular seasons.

After winning the Cleary Cup with the win over Princeton Friday, Cornell will take the weekend off before hosting the second round of the ECAC playoffs in two weeks.

Archived article by Sun Staff