Track Goes to ECACs, IC4As

One week after winning the Heptagonal championships, the men’s and women’s track teams will be back in action this weekend, as they compete in the IC4A and ECAC championships in Boston.

Cornell athletes earned All-Ivy nods in nearly every event. Senior captain Katy Jay topped the women’s list, earning first-team honors in the 400m and as a member of the 4x400m relay. She also claimed second-team spots in the 60m and 200m races. Other member of the 4x400m team who received first-team honors were sophomores Kari Steed, Jessica Brown, and Shonda Brown.

Other women on the list included second-teamers senior Sarah Herskee and sophomore Becky Tucker.

On the men’s side, 14 different athletes were named All-Ivy.

First-team awards went to the 4x400m relay team of junior Mike Nanaszko, senior Mike Kiselycznyk, and sophomores Keenan Goggins and Brian Eremita. Additionally, sophomore Ryan Schmidt, junior Tyler Kaune, and senior Mike Harbeck all made the first-team list in the high jump, long jump, and pole vault, respectively.

Eremita, junior Giles Longley-Cook, and seniors Derek Kingrey and Dan Dombroski also received individual mention on the second-team list. Eremita took home the award for the 500m; Longley-Cook, the weight throw; Kingrey, the shot put; and Dombroski, the 5,000m.

Also garnering second-team honors was the distance medley relay team of senior Barry Kahn, freshman Greg Simonds, sophomore Oliver Tassinari, and senior Geoff Van Fleet.

Following last weekend’s performance, the men head confidently into the IC4A’s — the country’s largest and oldest indoor championship.

“Guys on the team are more determined than ever to stay on top,” said men’s head coach Nathan Taylor.

The team also realizes, however, that the intensity of this meet will be a step up from that at Heps. Several prominent Division I programs and stiff competition from other schools, such as second-place Heps finisher Princeton, will give the Red a run for its money.

Georgetown, last year’s champion, is the perennial favorite to take the top spot, as the Hoyas have emerged as meet champions in eight of the last 10 meets.

Competition for the women will be similarly close fin the ECACs.

“Our expectations are always the same,” said women’s head coach Lou Duesing. “We can’t expect anything more than best our women can give.”

In the meet, the Red will face last year’s top-five finishers — Seton Hall, Georgetown, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and Connecticut. Each of these teams returns many starters, but the Red has momentum on its side and will strive to break into this lineup.

Barring any NCAA qualifiers, the IC4As and ECACs are the last indoor events for both the men and women, and each team hopes to conclude its season with a bang.

Archived article by Everett Hullverson