Riders Finish Second

For the second week in a row, the equestrian team competed at the Morrisville show. And as it did last weekend, the Red finished in second place, as Skidmore took the show with 41 points to Cornell’s 34. Hartwick tied Cornell for second, while Morrisville (31), Sienna (28), Ithaca (26), Colgate (25), RPI (21), Cobbleskill (13) and Binghamton (8) rounded out the field.

Cornell started well, with senior co-captain Julie Canter winning her class of Open fences. With the victory, Canter has qualified for both the Open flats and the Open fences for the upcoming Regional championships. Another Red captain, senior Jeannette Pettit, claimed a third-place result in her class. Meanwhile, senior Jesse Nehring and freshman Angela Barclay rounded out Cornell’s strong showing in the Open fences with first and second-place finishes in their classes.

The Intermediate fences saw sophomore Gillian Pech win her class, while freshman Alexandra Hurd took fifth. Cornell had similar results in the Novice fences, with freshman Cheryl Horton winning her class, and juniors Emi Knafo and Eva Conant taking fourth and fifth, respectively. For her performance in the Novice fences, Cheryl Horton earned a place in the High Point ride-off, which she subsequently won to become the Reserve High Point Rider of the Day.

The Red also received strong rides in the walk-trot-canter and the walk-trot. Freshman Abby McKenna was victorious in the walk-trot-canter, while sophomores Caitlin O’Shea and Linda Nguyen each posted second-place finishes. Junior Jes Enes secured Cornell’s best finish in the walk-trot, with a third.

The equestrian team will finish the regular season portion of its schedule next weekend when it travels to the Hartwick Show.

Archived article by Alex Ip