No Break for Tennis Teams

The women’s tennis team will be taking a trip to sunny Florida this week as it faces off against Rutgers, Barry, and Florida Atlantic. Escaping the cold and delayed spring of Ithaca, the ladies are looking to add some wins to their record.

The team’s start has been scattered, defeating long time rivals at Syracuse but also falling to teams that they it has handily defeated in the past. The Florida games should give a good indication of the bulk of the season to follow. Coach Tom Brownlie ’98 has put the majority of his effort into preparing for the Ivy games to follow the Florida soiree.

The girls will return to face off against Ivy rival Columbia in a highly anticipated match of the season. Still trying to solidify the roster, this week will hopefully give the girls a jump-start into a quick Ivy League season with no out-of-league games in the mix.

The men’s tennis team is also on the road, facing Memphis, Virginia Tech, Florida Atlantic, Stetson, and Iowa all before spring break ends.

The men are off to a hot start already, at 9-1 on the season. Leading the team in doubles play are juniors Zach Gallin and Scott Spencer. The two have dominated the competition all season long, often racking up wins with margins of three points or more. At the same time, the duo has dealt some heavy damage to opponents in the singles bracket. Senior Mike Laycob and junior Julian Cheng have also been consistent singles performers.

The men’s Ivy season opens the weekend after spring break, as the team travels to New York and Philadelphia to face Columbia and Pennsylvania, respectively.

Archived article by Josh Dormont