Equestrian Takes Third at Hartwick

The equestrian team concluded its regular season on March 15 with a third-place finish at the Hartwick show. Skidmore finished on top once again, winning with 44 points, followed by Morrisville at 39, and Cornell with 37. Hartwick, Siena, and Ithaca tied for fourth, while Colgate, Cobleskill, RPI and Binghamton rounded out the placings.

“It was one of our strongest shows [at Hartwick,]” said head coach Chris Mitchell. “We always do well there, but the 37 was our highest ever.”

Senior co-captain Julie Canter gave Cornell its best finish in the Open fences with a strong second-place finish. Fellow junior captain Jeanette Pettit finished third, while freshman Angela Barclay took fourth and sophomore Erica Rosen fifth.

The Intermediate fences saw freshman riders Alexandra Hurd and Megan Gates take third and fourth, respectively. Meanwhile, classmate Mary Slocum won her class of the Novice fences while another freshman, Cheryl Horton, was third. Junior Eva Conant completed a successful day in the Novice event with a first-place finish in her class.

“They took a lot of points away from other people,” said Mitchell.

Canter and Pettit placed the Red in the Open flats as well, with both taking second. With her showing, Pettit qualified for the Regional championships.

Interesting Developments

“It came down to the last class of the day, which always makes the day more interesting,” said Mitchell.

Junior Alaina Hoffman finished fifth in the Intermediate flat, while Hurd won her class in that event. Meanwhile Conant finished third in the Novice flat.

With the Red’s performance in the Hartwick show, it qualified for the Zone championships for only the second time in school history.

Archived article by Alex Ip