Gymnasts Take Aim At ECAC Competition

The gymnastics team will head to Yale to compete in the ECAC championships, which begin tomorrow. The tumblers are coming off of a win in their final home meet of the season against Bridgeport.

In the narrow 187.400-186.525 win last weekend, the Red received another strong performance from sophomore Larissa Calka. Calka placed first on the floor exercise (9.750) and second on the uneven bars (9.725) en route to a third-place finish in the all-around. Meanwhile, classmate Meghan Miller claimed first in the uneven bars, second on the beam, and fourth on the floor.

The uneven bars has been a strength for Cornell all season long, and last week was no exception. Miller, Calka, freshman Cathy Schnell and sophomore Allison Betof took four of the top five spots.

The Red remains hampered by injuries and consistencies, however, it will look to surpass the 190-point plateau, which has been a goal for the team this season. Last season, with a healthy squad, the team broke the barrier numerous times, including in last year’s ECAC championships, in which the squad placed third.

In last season’s championships, the team notched a school record of 192.575. Miller grabbed a share of the uneven bars title at last year’s event.

After the ECAC championships, Cornell will compete at the NCAA Regionals on April 12 before heading to the USAG Nationals on the 19th of April.

Archived article by Alex Ip