Nine Cornell Riders Head to Regionals

For nine members of the equestrian team, Sunday’s Regional championship marks the start of what they hope will be a successful postseason run.

After wrapping up a third-place finish two weeks ago at the season-ending Hartwick show, the Red will hope to use the off week to its advantage, and go into Regionals fresh.

“All of our riders are very capable of moving on to the next horse show,” said head coach Chris Mitchell. “It would be a magnificent weekend if all nine can move on.”

This will be the fourth straight Regionals appearance for senior co-captain Julie Canter. Canter, who was the high point reserve rider of the day at the Morrisville show, will be competing in the Open flat and Open fences. Canter enters the show following a second place finish in Open fences at Hartwick.

“If she qualifies [for Zones] in both, we would consider it a very successful weekend,” said Mitchell.

Junior Erin Goodrich makes her second Regionals appearance, and will compete in the Walk-Trot-Canter.

Classmate Jeannete Pettit also makes her second trip to Regionals, and will compete in the Open flat.

Six first-timers round out Cornell’s contingent. Freshman Angela Barclay will look to continue her stellar rookie season as she competes in the Open fences. She claimed forth in her class at Hartwick two weeks ago.

“She’s been very consistent,” said Mitchell. “It’s not easy to qualify as a freshman and to do that is a big feather in her cap.”

Senior Kim Huppe and sophomore Linda Nguyen will compete in the walk-trot, while junior Emi Knafo will join Goodrich in the Walk-Trot-Canter.

Sophomores Erica Rosen and Gillian Pech each qualified for Regionals in two events. Rosen will take part in the Intermediate flat and Intermediate fences, while Pech will compete in the Novice flat and fences.

The Red enters Regionals as the High Point Team, which is equivalent to being the second seed. If the team finishes in the top three, it will qualify for the Zone championships, which will be held in two weeks.

“The girls are ready to go and compete,” Mitchell said. “We are looking for them to have a great show and just go and ride.”

Archived article by Owen Bochner