NCAA Rules Boston College Winner Of East Regional, Red's Season Over

Tears of joy turned into tears of anguish for the men’s hockey team, as head coach Mike Schafer ’86 received the phone call he never expected to receive yesterday morning.

One day after an apparent 2-1 double overtime win over Boston College in the NCAA Quarterfinals, the No. 1 Red was informed by the NCAA that after a thorough review, the East regional title will be awarded to B.C., the Sun has learned. Boston College advances to its fifth Frozen Four in the last six years.

“It’s really hard to take,” said Schafer. “I thought we got screwed when the bracket first came out, and now this. Just unbelievable.”

The play in question took place in the latter portion of the third period of Sunday’s East region final with the score tied at 1-1. Eagles defenseman Peter Harrold was pushed into the crease following a shot from close range on sophomore goalie David LeNeveu. After making a save on Harrold’s shot, LeNeveu allowed a rebound that Stephen Gionta pounded home past LeNeveu’s outstretched glove.

The Red bench immediately protested that Harrold committed a crease violation, and after reviewing the tape, referee Don Adam agreed, and the goal was overturned. With the tie maintained, the game went into overtime, and the Red later won when senior Matt McRae scored at 1:09 into the second extra period.

NCAA officials reviewed the game film again yesterday morning and ruled that Harrold was carried into the crease by the momentum of his rush to the goal and did not deliberately impede LeNeveu from making the save.

An official announcement is expected today, according to a source close to the men’s hockey team who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

EDITOR’S NOTE: April Fools! We got you this time. This story is not real.

Archived article by Scott C. Jones