Viewer Discretion Advised

So, I decided to check out some new releases this weekend and give you all a heads up on what’s intriguing, engrossing, disturbing, all that good stuff. And this is what I’ve come up with, some indie releases that should intrigue those who enjoy the Hipster Cinema Series (yeah, that isn’t a stupid name). The movies aren’t listed in any particular order or anything, just the sequence that I saw them in. I don’t suggest looking for a theme, because there isn’t one. These are all random movies that I just thought looked good. Well, there might be a theme, but I’m certainly not going to tell you! *Snicker*

Secretary

This movie has gotten quite a few good reviews, and I concur. It was smart, disturbing, mysterious, and definitely interesting. James Spader is a lawyer with sadistic tendencies who hires Maggie Gyllenhaal as his secretary. Their relationship promptly morphs into her making typing mistakes and his spanking her for such naughty behaviour. At first I was a little worried that this movie was going to depict all mentally unstable people as a little out there with regards to their sexual preferences, but instead, the topic was treated with tenderness. Full of bizarre human behaviour, and completely normal feelings of love, this movie made me smile at the happy ending. Well, at least I thought it was a happy ending. You’ll have to decide for yourself.

Sex and Luc