Baseball Nears .500 Mark

The baseball team climbed the Ivy League ladder this weekend after winning three out of its four games against the Columbia Lions. The Red (13-14, 6-6 Ivy) is now in third place in the Lou Gehrig division, still topped by Princeton in first (18-16, 10-2). Cornell dropped the first game of the four-game series by a 5-4 score, before winning by scores of 10-7, 6-2, and 7-1.

On Friday, Cornell split a pair of games with the Lions (17-22, 5-7). In the opener, the Red came out strong taking a 4-3 lead into the bottom of the ninth. The Red notched three runs in the fourth off a rally from senior Jim Jackson and junior Jon Finch. Junior David Bredhoff was the game’s lead man batting 2-for-3 with three runs scored.

When a win seemed certain, Columbia’s Steve Compton hit a triple to bring in a teammate to even the score. Compton scored on the next at-bat to finish off the Red. Columbia’s Brian Doeala took the complete game win.

In the second game of the doubleheader, junior Dan Gala had a solid performance on the mound, striking out four and walking none in a 6-1/3 inning showing. It was Cornell’s offense, however, which made the difference.

After matching Cornell’s three-run second inning, Columbia was unable to knock in any runs again until the seventh. Cornell, meanwhile, dominated in the sixth, adding five runs on the scoreboard. The game would have gone into extra innings had it not been for a three-run outing in the ninth for Cornell.

Saturday’s games proved to be more conclusive for the Red. In the first of the pair, the Red led off the first with a pair of runs and notched a third in the second inning. Junior Dan Baysinger pitched five innings of shutout ball, only allowing six hits and striking out five. Columbia was able to end its scoring drought in the sixth with two runs, but it was not enough to fend off the Red.

Junior Chris Schutt was the man of the day, knocking in a run in the first game on Saturday and taking Columbia for a ride from the mound in the second game with 15 strikeouts. Schutt pitched the whole game, allowing only four hits, one run, and two walks. Schutt pitched six run-free innings, and allowed only one in the seventh. Cornell tallied four in the fifth inning and three in the seventh inning to earn the victory.

Archived article by Josh Dormont