Test Spin: Killer Mike

For nearly a decade, the southwest Atlanta collective known as the Dungeon Family has been responsible for bringing the gritty sounds of the dirty south to the mainstream with its one-of-a-kind acts: Goodie Mob, Outkast, the Youngbloodz, and now, a killer named Mike.

Just a year and a half after being featured on Outkast’s “The Whole World” and “Land of a Million Drums,” Killer Mike, with Dre 3000, Big Boi, and other family members, got busy with his freshman effort, Monster.

On Monster, Mike proves he’s no rapping Frankenstein. Instead, he comes equipped with an assortment of his own weapons which he masterfully manipulates, including a bevy of raw talent, trunk-thumpin’ bass lines, a distinctive delivery, and much more.With an intense flow and rough-cut beats, Mike slays on “Akshon.” He humorously decimates on the sexually tinged “A.D.I.D.A.S.” and “Scared Straight,” massacres wannabes on “Rap is Dead,” and finishes the job on the raucous “ReAkshon Remix” with T.I., UGK’s Bun B, and Bone Crusher.

Deep-fried in Stankonia tradition and with enough talent to stand alone, Killer Mike’s debut has all the makings of a promising career and the potential to unseat Ludacris as rap’s Mouth of the South.

Archived article by Justin Finch