W. Lax Falls to Yale

On a cold, rainy Saturday in New Haven, the No. 13 women’s lacrosse team fell to Yale 11-5.

The momentum turned against the Red early, as Yale junior Miles Whitman notched the Bulldogs’ first score 11 seconds into the game. From there, things only got worse for the Red. Yale raced out to a 4-0 lead seven minutes into the game on two more scores from Whitman and one from senior co-captain Clarissa Clarke.

Cornell midfielder Julie Hughey scored two goals to lead an offensive resurgence for the Red for the next ten minutes with two goals, but Clarke and Whitman answered with two goals for the Bulldogs, and the Red never seriously threatened again, entering halftime down, 7-3.

In the second period, Whitman continued her domination, tallying three more scores for Yale to give her a career-high seven goals on the game. Clarke and junior Sophie Meliniker each found the net twice to round out the Bulldogs’ scoring.

Hughey led Cornell’s attack with two goals. Senior Sarah Averson and sophomores Lindsay Steinberg and Kristen Smith all scored twice for the Red. Freshman Allison Schindler had the team’s lone assist, bringing her total to a team-leading 22.

Senior captain Erica Holveck caused four turnovers to lead the defense. Junior Ashley Charron and Maggie Fava split the time in goal. Charron had one save and Fava had four.

The game represents Cornell’s second worst offensive outing of the year. The Red scored fewer points in its 9-2 loss to Princeton, who can clinch a share of the Ivy title with a victory over Brown next Saturday.

The tough loss to Yale brings Cornell’s record to 9-5 on the year and 3-3 in the Ivy League and likely ends the Red’s chances of an NCAA tournament berth. With the victory and a Princeton defeat of Dartmouth, No. 12 Yale clinches a share of the Ivy title.

The Red will close out its Ivy season next weekend against Harvard (3-10, 1-5). Closer on the horizon, the Red will face No. 15 Stanford (10-3) this afternoon at 4:00 p.m. on Schoellkopf Field.

With the game, Cornell will close out its non-conference schedule and attempt to win 10 games for the fourth straight season.

Archived article by Matt James