Softball Sweeps Bombers

The women’s softball team used a six-RBI day from junior Erin Sweeney and a slew of Ithaca College errors, to sweep the Bombers (25-9) at Kostrinsky Field yesterday. The Red (29-7, 10-4 Ivy) took the opener, 7-4, and captured the nightcap with a 14-4 mauling in five innings, to extend its current winning streak to four.

Ithaca actually opened the scoring in Game One of the cross-town match-up, taking a 1-0 lead on an RBI groundout in the bottom of the first off freshman pitcher Kristen Landis. The Red answered in the following inning when junior Melissa Cannon drew a walk with the bases loaded.

The Red continued its response in that same inning, when junior Sandra Alvarez reached base on a walk to be brought home on freshman Stephanie Foster’s two-run blast.

Junior Kate Varde stole second base after being walked in the fourth, and scored on two straight Ithaca errors. Her efforts put the Red on top 4-1. Sophomore Erin Kizer continued the scoring, bringing home classmate Lauren May on a single for the Red’s fifth run of the game.

The Bombers were able to muster a run in the bottom of the fourth, off a Kerri Barber single and added two more on Leigh Bonkowski’s long ball in the fifth.

However, Cornell was able to go ahead for good on Sweeney’s two-run homer in the fifth. It was her sixth four-bagger of the season.

Landis threw a seven-hit, two strikeout complete game for the Red, allowing just three earned runs.

In the second game, Cornell flexed its offensive muscles, scoring the game’s first 14 runs. The Red didn’t just use its bats to gain the huge early lead, though. Ithaca made five errors in the game’s first four innings, allowing just one earned run in the lopsided defeat.

Foster plated the first run of the game in the first stanza, singling home varde. Sophomore Caitlin Warren then drew a bases-load free pass to make it 2-0.

The onslaught continued in the following inning, as the Red scored nine runs in the second. The huge output included a startling seven-run effort with two outs.

Warren drew yet another walk with the bases juiced to start the rally, while sophomore Melissa Heintz hit a two-run double to right field, to make it 5-0. Sweeney finished the amazing run with her second grand slam of the year off Ithaca hurler Abby Pelot.

The Red finished its big game with an Alyssa Brune bases loaded walk and a Landis two-run double in the fourth.

Junior Sarah Sterman pitched three masterful no-hit innings, before handing the reins over to freshman Whitney Smith. Smith finished her two-inning stint having given up two earned runs and five hits.

The Red will next travel to Quinnipiac on Saturday for a doubleheader starting at noon.

Archived article by Scott Jones