Top Red Sophomores

After only two years on the Hill, the athletes of the Class of 2005 have risen to become integral parts of their respective teams. Through hard work and dedication, they have excelled both on and off the field, and will continue to do so throughout the rest of their careers. In alphabetical order, here are the top 10 sophomores of 2002-2003:

Kate Boyles, Women’s Cross Country

Boyles finished second in the Army and LaSalle Invitationals and was the Red’s top finisher at the Pre-National Invitational. She earned All-Ivy Second Team honors after placing 12th at the Heptagonal championships at Van Cortlandt in New York City, helping the team take third place in the event. A week later on the same course, Boyles placed 22nd at the NCAA regional championships, at which the team finished sixth out of 36 teams.

Sean Greenhalgh, Men’s Lacrosse

After an outstanding freshman campaign, in which he led the team in scoring and was named Ivy League Rookie of the Year, Greenhalgh currently leads the team in goals this season with 30. He has already surpassed his regular season scoring total from last season with one game still remaining. A preseason All-American honorable mention selection, Greenhalgh has eight multi-goal games, including a six-goal performance against Penn.
He is second in the Ivy League in goals per game and first in game winners with
three.

Shellen Goltz, Gymnastics

Goltz was the only member of the Red to earn All-America honors, as she placed fifth in the individual finals at the USAG Collegiate Nationals on the balance beam with a score of 9.600. At the Ivy Classic, she scored a 9.800 on the uneven bars, helping the Red to a second-place finish in the event. At the ECAC Championships, her top-13 finish on beam helped the Red set a new school record with a score of 192.600.

Brad Kitlowski, Football

A linebacker, Kitlowski was named the team’s most outstanding defensive player. He was third on the team in overall tackles with 82, 43 solo and 39 assisted, and was second on the team in sacks with 3.5. Kitlowski earned an All-Ivy honorable mention nod, and helped the Red defeat Dartmouth with a 14-tackle, one sack performance. He was seventh in total tackles in the Ivy League, and second in fumbles recovered with two.

Travis Lee, Wrestling

Lee capped off a 34-0 season by capturing the NCAA National Title at 125 pounds, defeating No. 1 seeded Chris Fleeger of Purdue. He is Cornell’s first national champion since 1994 and only the second since 1960. Lee was also named Ivy League Wrestler of the Year, as he helped the Red win its 24th Ivy title. At the EIWA championships, Lee won the 125-pound title for the second year in a row, with the Red taking second in the event.

David LeNeveu, Men’s Hockey

LeNeveu put up incredible numbers, as he backstopped the Red to its first Frozen Four appearance in 23 years. His goals against average of 1.20 is the lowest in college hockey history, and he led the nation in every goaltending category. One of the three finalists for the Hobey Baker Award, given to the most outstanding player in college hockey, LeNeveu was also named Co-ECAC Player of the Year, Ivy League Player of the Year, ECAC Goalie of the Year, and Most Outstanding Player of the ECAC tournament. He broke the single-season shutout record previously held by Ken Dryden ’69 with nine — one shy of the NCAA record.

Lauren May, Softball

May was named Ivy League Rookie of the Year last season, and has continued to dazzle in the 2003 season. Her batting average of .375 is second on the team, and she leads the team in home runs with 11, which is tops in the Ivy League. She also leads the league in RBI with 33, along with teammate Kate Varde. May was twice named Ivy League Player of the Week this season, and has the Red in the hunt for its second Ivy title in three years.

Kara Neal, Women’s Diving

Neal competed at the NCAA Zone A Qualifying Meet in the one-meter and three-meter events. She advanced to the finals on the three-meter, finishing 16th with a score of 368.20, fourth among Ivy divers. She also placed 32nd on the one-meter at the meet.

Eric Taylor, Men’s Basketball

In the opening game of the season, Taylor scored 30 points, garnering a comparison to Bill Walton from Buffalo head coach Reggie Witherspoon. His 12.7 points per game was sixth in the Ivy League to go with his .558 field goal percentage — good enough for third in the Ivy League. Taylor also led the team in blocked shots with 25 and rebounds with 7.0 per game.

Katie Thomas, Women’s Soccer

Thomas was solid in goal for the Red all season, recording an Ivy-League best six shutouts and not allowing a goal against any non-conference opponents during the regular season. Her goals against average was a minuscule .96 — fourth lowest in the League — while recording a save percentage of .840 in 14 starts. Thomas earned an All-Ivy honorable mention nod for the second year in a row.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach