W. Crew to Meet Dartmouth

The women’s crew season continues this weekend with a meet tomorrow morning against Dartmouth on Cayuga Inlet.

The Red sees Dartmouth as a formidable competitor and realizes the race will be extremely demanding.

“Dartmouth will be a challenging team. They have beaten some crews that we have also beaten, but by bigger margins,” commented head coach Melanie Onufrieff.

The competition alone is not the only challenge the women are currently confronting. With the last week of school drawing to a close and finals right around the corner, the rowers have hardly any free time.

Onufrieff, however, is confident that academic pressures will not interfere with the rowers’ stroke.

“Our guys are a little tired with school ending and finals, but they will be up and ready to give it a go. They know how to keep their focus by eating and sleeping well,” said Onufrieff.

Amidst all the external pressures, the crew is still searching for more speed. Nationals are rapidly approaching, and the women want to be at their peak.

“We are trying out a few lineup changes for this race to start some new things,” said Onufrieff.

Both the men’s heavyweight and lightweight squads have byes this weekend. Each will spend the off-weekend preparing their next events. The heavyweights return to the water on the 11th for the EARC championships while the lightweights compete in the Eastern Sprints the same day.

Archived article by Mark Travers