July 16, 2003

Orientation: Your First Glimpse at Cornell Life

Three thousand feverish incoming students will make Cornell’s campus their playground during New Student Orientation 2003, a six-day extravaganza at the end of August. Cornell’s annual show of generosity culminates this year with the new five-day Welcome Weekend involving the entire campus.

“The lineup for entertainment is unsurpassed,” said Lynn Delles, a program assistant coordinating orientation and welcome weekend.

“Your first day at Cornell will be marked as both one of the scariest and the most exciting days of your life,” said Lisa K’Bedford ’96, assistant dean of students, and head of orientation and welcome weekend.

Over four hundred upperclassmen are slated to volunteer during orientation.

“Orientation volunteers [will help] you capitalize on that excitement, ease the nervousness and welcome you to the Cornell community,” K’Bedford added.

Student Led

The Orientation Steering Committee (OSC) is a group of 10 students which has been meeting weekly since last fall to plan orientation.

“Each Orientation event is an opportunity for students to meet each other and learn about the culture and traditions of Cornell while having a ton of fun,” said OSC member Dena Ruebusch ’04.

Along with meeting other students, new freshmen can meet the president and their other deans at Saturday’s various convocations. In the evening, students can attend the Saturday Night Showcase, sponsored by the CUTonight Commission, which funds Cornell’s late-night on-campus social scene. The showcase is a large festival extending from North Campus to the Arts Quad with food, hypnotists and special performances.

Joshua Yablon ’07, from Niskayuna, N.Y., is looking forward to the event.

“I’m pumped for the party to begin. It’s exciting to imagine the Class of 2007 getting together for the first time,” Yablon said.

Sunday’s events include a panel discussion on Antigone, beach volleyball and a late-night coffeehouse. Sharon Mack ’07, from Camillus, N.Y., is “ecstatic” about the open-mic performances.

“I’m still trying to decide what to do for my ‘five minutes of fame,'” Mack said.

Antigone

The freshman book project continues this year with small-group discussions of Antigone, and an ensuing Hellenic feast provided by Cornell Dining called “My Big Fat Greek Dinner.” At night, intramural and varsity sports teams will host “Monday Night Sports,” including rock climbing, basketball, bowling and dance. For the stargazers, Cornell’s Fuertes Observatory will be open to view the night sky.

New on North Campus this year is the Carol Tatkon Center in Balch Hall, which will host a series of programs to meet the academic needs of first-year students. It will also feature President Lehman’s first ribbon cutting ceremony, taking place on Friday. Planned highlights for the center are a caf