July 16, 2003

Sharks Sign Swede

After a successful hockey career on the East Hill, Doug Murray ’03 has taken the next step in his career, recently signing a contract with the NHL’s San Jose Sharks. Murray, a two-time All America defenseman and a Hobey Baker Award Finalist in 2002, was drafted by the Sharks in the eighth round of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.

“[Signing with the Sharks] is a step towards a dream come true,” said Murray. “It’s been a dream of mine to play in the NHL since I started playing hockey as a kid.”

This past year, Murray served as co-captain along with classmate Stephen Bâby ’03, and helped lead the Red to its first Frozen Four appearance in 23 years. Murray recorded five goals and 20 assists, while helping to establish the Red’s defense as the best in the country, with a mere 1.36 goals allowed average. The Bromma, Sweden native had quite a following among the Lynah Faithful, as several Swedish flags could be seen in the stands during most games.

With training camp on the horizon in September, Murray participated in the Sharks’ summer development camp from July 9-12 at Logitech Ice in San Jose. He was one of six blueliner prospects at the camp, and there are currently five defenseman on the San Jose roster. If Murray does not make the Sharks after training camp, he could be sent to the Cleveland Barons of the AHL or one of the Sharks’ other minor league teams.

“I want to use the summer to put myself in a position to get a spot on the team,” remarked Murray. “I need to concentrate on what I can control.”

Current Cornellians in the NHL include the three-time Stanley Cup champion Joe Nieuwendyk ’88 of the New Jersey Devils, Brad Chartrand ’96 of the Los Angeles Kings, and Kent Manderville ’91 of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Murray will look to join them when training camp starts in mid-September.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach