Campus Couture

I set out on a mission this weekend to pick up a few colder-season items. I knew full well that I’d ultimately end up leaving Ithaca to shop, but thought I’d be adventurous and explore the world of eclectic shops that is The Ithaca Commons. Explorer tip: Always bring a friend. Two eyes are better than one and there’s strength in numbers. It’s essential to have a second opinion. Here are the results of my Commons Adventure with some of this season’s new looks and where to find them locally.

Blazer, tweeds

Blazers can be worn with just about everything — jeans, skirts, sets, etc. And they’re a great new layering alternative for those cold Ithaca days. Look for tweed or corduroy fabrics. Unique World on the Commons has a small selection of vintage-style blazers. (magazines.ivillage.com)

Off-the-shoulder sweater

Sweaters are a must-have for Ithaca. For those who think they’re a little too conservative, the answer is this season’s off-the-shoulder sweater. Wear on or off the shoulder depending on your mood. See Spiegel’s detailed version, or look for more at Pookie & Sebastian, 123 Cayuga St. (www.spiegel.com)

Pleated skirt

My boyfriend has assured me that the Catholic schoolgirl look is in this season (multiple times). But for those who don’t want the old-school Brittany Spears look, the short pleated skirt comes in many other more toned down versions. Strenesse makes the designer runway look, but you can also find it at Evolution. (www.newyorkmetro.com)

Fur

You’ll find lots of fur on sweaters and jackets this fall. But beware: even though you’ll be sure to wear faux, you may still get evil glares from animal activists and Townies alike. If that’s a chance you’re willing to take, look in Evolution for a wide selection of fur coats. (magazines.ivillage.com)

Flapper-inspired

Fifty’s flapper style is returning to weekend party wear. Look for scrunched or fringed tops in feminine colors. While the selection isn’t great locally (you might have to head to Syracuse for this one), Pookie & Sebastian has a couple of options. (magazines.ivillage.com)

Lace-up dress

Girly bows and ribbons are in, so for more formal weekend events, dress up in a light and flowing lace-up dress. A Pookie & Sebastian retailer confides they were worried it wouldn’t sell, but their version has been flying off shelves in Ithaca. (magazines.ivillage.com)

Archived article by Laura Borden