Editors' Note

“Now more than ever.” Never have four words been so annoying, so inadequate to so enormous a situation. But they’re everywhere you look in the entertainment industry, being used to justify the most triffling of arts and the largest of egos. And yet there’s truth to them — or there could be, were they ever responsably applied. Because it is one of Art’s functions to help us deal with pain and change. When we are struck dumb with horror, when we cannot speak our minds, Art must sing our hearts. Paradoxically, most Art dealing directly with events is less far reaching, and comforting than those which, composed in no particular context, speak of universal love, hope, and loss.

The two years following our generation’s “day of infamy,” 9/11 proved to be some of the most notable in arts and entertainment. After the 11th, one might think we would lose our sense of humor in such a time of tragedy and global upheaval, or even today as our country remains engaged in conflict. Neither our innate ability to laugh and be entertained ever left us, nor did our willingness to reflect on what was lost and what might rise from the ashes. So get through the day however you can, and remember the Art you love will still be there for you before and after the going down of the sun.

Archived article by Erica Stein