Test Spin: The Raveonettes

If you have begun to get a little tired of the boy-girl combo that is Jack and Meg White, then ladies and gentlemen, I give you: The Raveonettes.

Hailing from Denmark, this two-piece seems to have graduated with honors from the White Stripes school of simplicity. Chain Gang of Love is a thirteen song thesis on how to move forward by going backwards. Drawing on sounds from the ’50s and ’60s in particular, the album is a fresh reminder that the oldies knew how to do this music thing best.

“Love Can Destroy Everythin” has the heart wrenching sway of the Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody” (“If you were me and all you could think of, was to die in your arms tonight/ How would you tell me and how would you hurt me, when hearts are not chained at first sight”).

The happy-go-lucky sound of The Beach Boys comes through on “Noisy Summer,” and from the same era, “Remember” smacks of the monotone hum of a slow Velvet Underground tune.

Laying down strict ground rules for their songwriting and recording, The Raveonettes limit their songs to under three minutes each and stick to the same key for the entire album.

All the while, imagine each of these songs with clanging, sci-fi B-movie sound effects played over them. Peculiar? Indeed, but perhaps exactly what you need right now.

Archived article by Tom Britton