Golfers Tee Up at Bucknell

Behind the leadership of head coach Matt Baughan, the golf team looks like it’s ready to emerge as a serious competitor this season. With many of the key components of last year’s team returning, Cornell has the experience and talent it needs to not only compete in tournaments, but to win them; not to mention the youth to keep the momentum going in the future.

“I have very high expectations for the team this year,” said junior starter Kevin Scelfo.

“I believe that we have one of the most talented, if not the most talented team that Cornell has ever had. The competition to not only make the team but to be on the starting five-man team was greater than it has been in recent years.”

The team will open its season tomorrow at the Bucknell Invitational.

The two-day event has a field of 18 teams, each consisting of five players. Only the top four scores will count for each team.

Last year, Cornell finished in 12th place at the invitational, but the Red hopes to improve upon that this season.

“The way my own game is at the moment and the way the rest of team is playing, I will be disappointed with anything less than a good showing this weekend,” added Scelfo.

Besides Scelfo, senior Chris Rogalski, junior Eric Foote, and sophomores Andy Sliwa and Andrew Turker will be starting for the team tomorrow.

The Course

The invitational will be played at the Bucknell University Golf Course in Lewisburg, Penn.

Unlike the team’s home course, the invitational will challenge each player’s accuracy and shot-making ability. It is relatively short and narrow, forcing the players to hit long irons off the tee and accurate shorter irons into small greens.

Scelfo, however, does not feel that the nature of the course will have an affect on the outcome.

“Even though the course that we are playing at Bucknell is different than we are used to, there is no reason why we can’t be near the top,” said Scelfo.

Consistent Improvement

And that doesn’t just mean at Bucknell. The team’s improvement over the past three years will be evident all year long.

“A few years ago, we were out there only to field a team. Recently, we have been in a position where we can compete with the other teams. But now, we are in a position to compete to win,” said Baughan.

“The guys are in place, and now we just have to go out there and perform.”

Archived article by Bryan Pepper