Test Spin: Morcheeba

Quick, someone put out an APB for trip hop! It’s been missing for nearly five years and fans are worried sick. Esthero, Lo-Fi, Olive, Sneaker Pimps, Tricky: where did the bad men take you? Are they feeding you?

Trip Hop’s “bad men” (ego, feuds, addictions, et al.) have robbed the genre of many of its most promising talents, leaving us to tinker with the likes of Bjork and other, dimmer bulbs. Fortunately, they’ve steered clear of Morcheeba.

Morcheeba celebrates its seventh year in the biz with Parts of the Process, a greatest hits compilation that boasts their best along with two new tracks: “What’s Your Name,” featuring hip-hop legend Big Daddy Kane and “Can’t Stand It.”

Composed of brothers Paul and Ross Godfrey and vocalist Skye Edwards, Morcheeba’s staying power can be attributed to their eclectic inspirations. While their peers dwelled on the languid and amorphous, Morcheeba experimented, producing the disco-tinged “Rome Wasn’t Built In A Day” and the popular “Let Me See.”

On “Otherwise,” Edwards’s vocals coasting atop Ross’s brutally honest lyricry and Paul’s emotive beats attest to the musical marvel this trio has become since the tenderfooted “Trigger Hippie” their superb first, but less moving, release.

Besides a stellar digest of Morcheeba’s work, Parts of the Process reveals a band whose commitment to art transcends fad and continued work will never allow trip hop to be forgotten.

Archived article by Justin Finch