F. Hockey Loses Two

The field hockey team scored two goals in the first half against Yale on Saturday. Unfortunately for the Red, it could not score for the rest of the weekend trip.

Yale (2-4, 1-1 Ivy) came back, scoring three unanswered goals, to defeat the Red, 3-2, at Johnson Field.

“We have been playing 25 or 30 minutes every game,” said senior tri-captain Karleigh Burns. “We need to play a full 70 minutes and put it all together.”

Burns scored on a penalty stroke, and also added an assist. Her assist came on the first goal of the game, scored by sophomore Blair Corcoran. It was the first of her career.

After the Red went up 2-0 on the Burns penalty stroke, the Bulldogs struck back. With just over a minute and a half remaining in the first half, Yale netted its first goal after 13 unsuccessful shots. The goal was scored by junior Meredith Howell on assists from Sara Driscoll and Jana Halfon.

Yale’s next goal came just over four minutes after the teams left the locker rooms for the start of the second half, and was scored by junior Meredith Hudson with assists again from the duo of Driscoll and Halfon. The game winner for the Bulldogs came off of a rebound by Fran Gardner in the 52nd minute of the game.

Yale dominated all of the statistical categories of the contest. It out shot the Red 25-13 and held the advantage in penalty corners, 10-5. Because the Bulldogs had so many prime scoring opportunities, senior goalie Kaitlin Tierney let up three goals in a losing effort. Tierney also added nine saves for the Red.

Yesterday against Rhode Island, the Red fell by a score of 1-0, in a neutral-site contest. The only goal of the game came in the 16th minute, on the Rams’ first shot of the game.

The Red, after having only one shot in the first half, came out shooting in the second half. Yet, after taking nine shots in the second, the Red still could not light up the scoreboard.

Tierney made three saves in the contest. Yet her opposition, Jennifer Perry of the Rams, stole the show, making four saves, including two on penalty corners by the Red with the game on the line.

“We dominated most of the stats and we played very well,” said senior Kimmy Gardner, “but we just couldn’t get the ball in the cage today.”

The losses drop the Red to 2-6 on the season and 1-2 against Ivy League competition. The loss to Rhode Island marked the fifth straight for the Red, yet there is no panic among the players.

Gardner noted that, “The team chemistry is good, and we have been really playing well together lately.”

The Red will again be on the road next weekend when it travels to Princeton to face the Tigers on Saturday, and then journeys to Bethlehem, Penn. on Sunday to face Lehigh.

When asked about the upcoming trip, Burns noted, “The only place to go from here is up.”

Archived article by Chris Mascaro