M. Soccer Renews Physical Colgate Rivalry at Berman

After four straight games on the road, the men’s soccer team returns to the friendly confines of Berman Field, as it faces Colgate tonight under the lights at 7 p.m. The Red (2-3-0) snapped a three-game losing streak on Saturday, defeating American, while The Raiders (1-4-3) dropped a heartbreaker in overtime against Lafayette in their Patriot League opener.

“It will be nice [to have a game at home]. It’s kind of foreign territory for us right now. We’ve been living in hotels for the past three weeks, it’ll be nice to be able to come out and play at home in front of our own fans,” said head coach Bryan Scales.

The booters fought an uphill battle on Saturday, as they played a man down for the majority of the second half. Freshman Tom Marks was booked for his second yellow card in the 46th minute, while three others received yellow cards in the first half.

After junior Steve Reuter was tripped in the box in the 56th minute, junior Scott Palguta collected the rebound from his own penalty kick, and put it past the American keeper to give the Red a 1-0 lead it would never relinquish.

Colgate played a three-hour contest against Lafayette due to lightning delays. After giving up two goals in the span of five minutes, the Raiders tied the game with 90 seconds to go in regulation on a Brian McDermott tally. Lafayette scored eight minutes into the extra session to come away with the victory.

The Raiders’ starting goalie Jon Brunell came out of the game due to injury five minutes into the second half, and was replaced by Will Martin. The two combined for nine saves, as Lafayette outshot Colgate, 16-4. The Raiders are winless in their last four games, tying St. Francis and Canisius at the Oneonta Tournament last weekend. Their only win of the season came against St. Joseph’s.

Peter Bourquin is the Raiders’ leading scorer with four goals in the year, four different players have each recorded an assist. In net, Will Martin has seen the majority of playing time, recording a 3.70 goals against average.

Last year in Hamilton, the Red came away with a 2-1 victory, and looks to build on its win against American.

“The team is excited to have won that game [against American], they’ll forget about it after today. They know they have an important regional matchup against Colgate,” said Scales.

Reuter, who was hurt in the contest against Coastal Carolina, came off the bench during Saturday’s game, and could start tonight.

The Red opens its Ivy season this Saturday at Penn.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach