Harvard Beats No. 10 Northeastern

Harvard (3-0) defeated Massachusetts rival Northeastern, 28-20, on Saturday. Harvard’s junior quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick threw for two touchdowns and ran for two more on the game. He leads the Ivy League in passing statistics, with 964 yards and eight touchdowns on the season. Northeastern made the game close with two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, but it wasn’t enough to defeat the Crimson.

Yale 41, Holy Cross 16

Yale remained unbeaten on the season with a 41-16 thrashing of Holy Cross. Yale quarterback Alvin Cowan threw for 212 yards and two touchdowns, completing 15-of-19 passes in the win. Holy Cross, now 1-4 on the season, has given up 202 points in its first five games.

Penn 33, Dartmouth 20

Penn held off a late fourth quarter rush from Ivy League rival Dartmouth, to win, 33-20. Penn was led by senior quarterback Michael Mitchell, who threw for an impressive 337 yards, finding Joseph Pankratz and Joe Phillips for touchdowns in the second quarter. Dartmouth’s Charlie Rittgers also had two touchdowns on the game, but allowed three costly interceptions.

Rhode Island 27, Brown 9

Brown fell to Rhode Island, 27-9. Brown turned the ball over six times in the game, while the Rams’ running combination of Jayson Davis, Luther Green, and Jason Ham rushed for 293 yards and three touchdowns. The Bears fall to 1-2 on the season.

Columbia 33, Princeton 27

Columbia notched a dramatic come-from-behind 33-27 victory over Ivy rival Princeton. Down 20-0 after the first quarter, Columbia’s come back culminated with a 49-yard touchdown reception by Wade Fletcher from Jeff Otis, as the remaining time ticked away. Columbia had lost five straight games to Princeton and had not won in Princeton since 1945. The Tigers have yet to win a game this season.

Archived article by Paul Testa