Gotta Have It

This past weekend I spent a good chunk of time thumbing through my already-worn day planner in a profound effort to comprehend exactly where August and September went. If there’s anything I’ve learned during my time here at Cornell it’s that on many occasions during the course of life on the hill there simply aren’t any answers. This was one of those sometimes. And then again other times I simply look up at the menacingly gloomy sky and wonder, “why me?” But that story in and of itself is a whole other tragic tale that I don’t have the time or resources to delve into. Fall Break is already here, and by the end of this week — more likely the middle of this week, knowing us — thousands upon thousands of Cornellians will be filing out of Ithaca in search of destinations as far west as the frothy California coastline, as far south as the Floridian swamps, or as local as, say, upstate New York. For those of you out there who are looking for something fun to do this Columbus Day holiday weekend — or are merely looking to survive the fluctuating levels of boredom you’re bracing yourself to endure — you will be pleased to see four rousing items below practically guaranteed to make your dull, meaningless life a bit more interesting.

Massively Small Entertainment Center

This little beauty has it all: DVD player, CD/MP3 player, thermometer, AM/FM tuner, cable-ready TV tuner, large and colorful 7″ TFT display, alarm clock, built-in espresso maker — ok, ok so I made the last feature up. But that’s just about the only thing missing from the Personal Entertainment Center designed by Sharper Image. The sleek and portable package is meant for people on the go, but it remains plenty usable for those with absolutely nowhere to go. Go ahead, be impulsive — Columbus was adventurous and look where it got him –celebrate his day by turning your weekend into one long DVD marathon. The Personal Entertainment Center makes this possibility a snap. Simply insert a DVD and bask in the sonorous glow of the state-of-the-art aluminum-cone speaker diaphragm technology that the system features. Want that extra thumping bass? Simply purchase the optional subwoofer package and you’ll be booming in no time. When it’s time to hit the hay you’ll be able to count on the trademark Sound Soother collection of twenty sounds ranging from “Thunderstorm” to “Wind chimes.” Each sound experience is designed to gently filter out irritating noises such as appliances, buses, snoring roommates, and rabid barking dogs, and replace them with a comforting mood designed to make you feel calm, relaxed, clear-headed and rejuvenated