Booters Take On Crimson

While much of the Cornell community is home recovering over this fall break, the men’s soccer team (4-3-0, 1-0-0 Ivy) will be here facing its Beantown rivals, the Harvard Crimson (4-3-2, 0-1-0). The Red is coming off of a huge win over the defending Ivy champion Penn Quakers last Saturday, and will look to extend its winning streak to four games tomorrow at home.

However, taking down the Crimson will be no walk in the park for Cornell. Harvard is very closely matched against the Red and has several key players that Cornell will have to keep an eye on. One of these key players is freshman forward Matt Hoff, who has proven to be arguably the best player on the Crimson this season. Hoff was recruited out of Chaminade, and despite his inexperience, has scored four goals already. He currently leads the team in both goals and points in 2003.

Sophomore forward Anthony Tornaritis will be the Crimson’s other go-to-guy on offense. Tornaritis did not see much action last year after an injury took him out in the sixth game of the season. This season, he has already collected two goals and four assists for eight points.

Despite the talent of these two on offense, perhaps the toughest challenge the Red will face tomorrow will be sophomore goalie Ryan Johnson. Johnson has really proven himself this season, shutting out Central Connecticut last week to drop his GAA to 0.99 with a .813 save percentage. He has been one of Harvard’s most improved players, considering that he allowed a disappointing nine goals in only five games in 2002.

On the other side of things, the Red has several positives going into this upcoming match. Cornell heads into tomorrow’s game on fire after winning three straight. Its last game against Penn has also really given the team a great deal of confidence heading into the upcoming stretch of conference games.

In addition, after an upsetting injury to Red star junior Steve Reuter two weeks ago, Cornell has had every player on the team step up to compensate. Last week, junior forward Peter Lynch registered his first goal of the season against the Quakers. This goal would be the gamewinner in the 1-0 nailbiter. Lynch had only two goals all of last season.

The Red steps onto the field at 7:00 p.m. tomorrow. This game against Harvard will only be Cornell’s second Ivy League match of the season.

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini