Red Plays to 1-1 Draw

The men’s soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to four games, as it tied Harvard 1-1 on Saturday. This was the second straight year that the Red (4-3-1, 1-0-1) and the Crimson (4-3-3, 0-1-1) played to a draw.

“It was a good Ivy League soccer game. It was an emotional, hard-fought battle. Both teams I thought played pretty well. It ended in a draw so nothing was really settled,” said Cornell head coach Bryan Scales.

While Harvard held the shot advantage in the first half with 10 to Cornell’s eight, it was the Red that drew first blood. With less than a minute to go in the half, sophomore Pape Seye got the ball in the middle about 35 yards out from the Harvard goal and drove right. As he shot the ball, a defender came in to make the stop, and the ball deflected off of the Crimson player and over the goalie’s head. It was Seye’s second goal of the season.

The Red would not hold the lead for long. Just under eight minutes into the second, Harvard notched the equalizer, as Crimson rookie sensation Matt Hoff headed in a rebound past junior goalie David Mahoney for his team-leading fifth goal of the season. Hoff was later named Ivy League Rookie of the Week, as he also scored the Crimson’s only goal in a 1-0 against Central Connecticut earlier in the week.

“We played pretty aggressively the whole game, and after they scored their goal, we decided to get back to business, and try to find a way to get our goal,” remarked Scales.

Mahoney, who had not allowed a goal in the three previous games, was impressive between the pipes, making seven of his 11 saves in the second half to keep the Red in the game.

“It’s the best that we’ve seen him here this year. He was outstanding, he was the reason we were able to get a result out of the game,” said Scales.

With neither team able to net another goal, the game headed for overtime. This marked the first extra session game for the Red this season.

“[The overtime] was pretty feisty. Both teams had good chances to score. Mahoney came up big with a couple of good saves, and their keeper made some good saves, and we had some good chances in front of the goal that we didn’t finish off,” said Scales.

In the 105th minute, freshman Ryan Imamura made a huge stop 10 yards from the goal to prevent an excellent Harvard scoring chance. The Red went a man up with a minute left to play in the second overtime after a Harvard player received a red card for running into Mahoney, but were unable to find the back of the net.

“I think this was a good battle for our guys, I thought they did pretty well,” said Scales. “These Ivy League games are always very difficult, and right now we’re undefeated in the league, and we have some big games in front of us.”

The Red looks to remain unbeaten in league play as it travels to New Haven, Conn. to face Yale on Saturday for a 7 p.m. nightcap.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach